Dermaplaning Chicago – Everything You Need to Know Before Your Dermaplaning Procedure
Are you looking to get rid of all that peach fuzz, your sideburns, or just to even out the skin on your face? If so, you might have heard of dermaplaning – a treatment performed by a licensed aesthetician or skin care doctor where a small layer of skin is removed from the face. Dead skin is removed as well as peach fuzz (vellus hairs) of the face and head.
You can think of it as a “deep shave.” A blade is used to shave off the top layers of dead skin.
If you want more info about dermaplaning, read on with us. We break down some of the most common questions we hear at Chicago Cosmetic Institute as well as the answers to them. We’re happy to break it down for you!
Looking to get right down to business? Get in touch with us today.
How does dermaplaning work?
A small, sterile scalpel is used by a doctor or licensed aesthetician to gently rub off the dead skin and vellus hairs (peach fuzz) while holding the skin taut.
The blade moves over the skin in gentle, upward motions to remove the upper layers of dead skin, dirt, and discoloration.
How long does dermaplaning take?
The entire procedure can be done in a matter of 30 minutes and requires absolutely no downtime after the treatment. Patients often come from work and return to work after.
The treatment can be performed once every 2-3 weeks, but usually, patients wait until the peach fuzz starts to grow back.
How to prepare for dermaplaning
There are a few things you should keep in mind while preparing to have your first or future dermaplaning procedure. Preparations include:
- Avoid waxing the area for at least 7 days before the procedure
- Avoid using lotions and other topical products for the skin for at least 3 days
- Cleanse the skin with a mild cleanser
- Wear sunscreen daily (SPF 30 or higher to protect skin)
- Avoid excessive exposure to the sun
- On the day of treatment, show up with a clean face. Do not wear makeup.
Dermaplaning post-treatment guide
- You can expect to see from redness and inflammation of the area. Depending on the depth of the treatment, light scabs could form for a day or two.
- Do not use any topical skin products or lotions for 72 hours after treatment.
- Moisturize the skin as needed
- Avoid using makeup (if possible) on the day of and first day after treatment
- Avoid excessive sun
Is dermaplaning right for me?
Dermaplaning is a light and easy procedure, there isn’t as extensive a requirement for the type of patient as you’d see with something surgical. It tends to work best on people who have rough or dry skin. It helps minimize acne scarring of the face and uneven skin tone.
If your skin has an excess buildup of dead cells, which happens often with age, then dermaplaning can help to take that layer off the top of the skin for you.
If there is excessive active acne on the face it could be recommended to wait for dermaplaning until it has cleared up. Other than that, it is a safe and easy-to-qualify procedure for most people.
How much does dermaplaning cost?
The price of dermaplaning ranges from approx. $75 to $150 per session and can go up from there depending on who you choose and where you live. It is sometimes offered along with a chemical peel or dermaplaning facial for more dramatic, glowing results.
Dermaplaning can allow products like chemical peels and facial products to go deeper into the skin than they would normally.
Risks and other side effects
As with all medical procedures, dermaplaning comes with some risks and possible side effects. They are:
- Scraping or nicking of the skin
- While many patients assume hair will grow back thicker and darker, it is not true. Skin removed through derma blading will grow back the same way after 4-6 weeks
- Dermablading can have negative effects when patients have inflamed acne or are allergic to nickel (what the blade is made from). These patients are asked not to have dermaplaning procedure done
- There can be some redness and/or irritation and dryness after the procedure. Acne flair-ups have also been reported
- Blemishes and/or cold sores may result
Is it painful?
When you hear that there is a surgical scalpel involved, you might think you’re in for a painful procedure, but the opposite is actually true. Dermaplaning is not painful at all. It’s often relaxing for our patients, as a matter of fact.
You can think of it as a “deep” shave. You will be aware it is happening but should feel no pain at all when the procedure is performed correctly.
Dermaplaning vs Micro Dermabrasion
Dermaplaning is an instant gratification procedure, meaning you will see results right away. The skin will be clean and exfoliated as soon as the procedure is done. Microdermabrasion, on the other hand, uses abrasion combined with vacuum pressure. It can be a bit rougher on the skin, though the treatments share many of the same skincare goals.
If you’re considering dermaplaning, there is no better choice in North Center or Downtown Chicago than Chicago Vein Institute. If you’d like a consultation and quote on dermaplaning in Chicago, get in touch with us today. We’re happy to help you feel good in the skin you’re in.
North Center Chicago
2333 W. Irving Park Rd.
Chicago, IL 60618
Free Parking behind building
Chicago Cosmetic Institute: Med Spa Services The Chicago Cosmetic Institute offers a variety of medical spa services, also known as med spa services. We have a variety of options that focus on the eyes, face, breast, body, and the skin. Our caring and results-oriented team strives for patient satisfaction. Book a consultation today to learn about options that help you feel your best. Our Chicago Med Spa Services include Laser Hair Removal, Tummy Tuck, Liposuction, Botox, Lifestyle Lift, PRP for Hair Restoration and Facial Rejuvination, CoolSculpting, and more. Beyond cosmetic services and plastic surgery, our team of medical estheticians, physicians, and their support staff can help you with additional services, including: acne treatment options, a chemical peel, skin tightening procedures, stretch mark removal, and other skin care services that look and feel great.